3 points, Another Youngster and Stupid, Stupid chanting....

Those of you who watched MotD won't need this article such was the in depth and lengthy analysis of the game... obviosuly i was also pleased to see that such was the way tte game was editted we got to see all of Fulham's chances and only 2 of Villa's, obviously a fair reflection of the game and who can blame Jol for his "Bossed the Game" comments when all he's been able to see is the MotD highlights... he's too busy to watch the game from the touchline.... I was also pleased to hear of crowd giving their full support to Andreas Weimann, Gary Gardner and Barry Bannan as they lined up to come on to the pitch... I clearly heard... BOOO, McLeish, Boo N'Zogbia coming off and come on Gary/Barry/Andreas score one for the team we support you... all wrapped up in one noise.... I wonder if they players did...

You can probably guess i got out of the bed in the brightest and best of moods this morning.

Score Aston Villa 1 – 0(HT 0 – 0) Fulham
  1. Weimann 90+3
Bookings
  1. Petrov 66
  2. Herd 73
Possession 51%  49%
Corners 10 4
Goal attempts 16 7
On target 6 1
Fouls 9 11
Offside 2 3
Aston Villa
  • Shay Given, 
  • Carlos Cuéllar, 
  • Alan Hutton, 
  • Stephen Warnock,
  • James Collins, 
  • Chris Herd (Barry Bannan, 82), 
  • Charles N'Zogbia (Andreas Weimann, 72), 
  • Stilian Petrov (Gary Gardner, 90), 
  • Marc Albrighton, 
  • Stephen Ireland, 
  • Gabriel Agbonlahor
Fulham
  • Mark Schwarzer, 
  • Philippe Senderos, 
  • Stephen Kelly, 
  • John Arne Riise, 
  • Brede Hangeland, 
  • Danny Murphy (Mahamadou Diarra, 45), 
  • Damien Duff, 
  • Clint Dempsey, 
  • Pavel Pogrebnyak, 
  • Moussa Dembélé, 
  • Andrew Johnson (Bryan Ruiz, 67)
Referee Jonathan Moss
Venue Villa Park
Attendance 32,372

This doesn't look like a game where the cliched McLeish tactics entered the field, and it wasn't. To be honest there has been a slow shift to a more expansive style of football, but we do have to accept a big element of caution considering of defence's short comings, but Cuellar has at least added some brain to the back line and in continually stepping up and forcing his defence to come with him, Collins i thought had his best game for a while... because he was listening to his defensive partner... for once!

I've mentioned the "noise" at the substitutions,

WHAT THE FECK ARE YOU THNKING?

TELL ME WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO ACHIEVE?

Two questions you should ask your self, have your opinion of McLeish, no one can take them away, but when we have a Manager making a fairly attacking substitution and those subs are all Villa Academy graduates put aside your preconceived notions and ignorance and applaud the players coming off and the lads coming on. It doesn't help and I bet you celebrated just as hard when the 3 subs combined to score? Get off you soap boxes and get behind the boys for the rest of the season.

The game started as a normal Villa game of late, dominate in the 1st half with no reward so i was expecting the second half to be all Fulham, and was preparing for the James Collins related head palming that is usually going on... but no, Cuellar lead the line well, Herd was busy without ever being our best player and I thought Ireland has found a biy of fight... well hand bags... but hey it'll do, least he's up for it now. 

Villa deserved the result on over all performance, but i think the big talking point was the young players. I've been on about these boys for the last 2 seasons and now people may begin to come round to my train of thought. I said Weimann would most likely take over from Delfouneso as he is more a team player and is super clinical in the box. Gardner i've tipped for the very top and he's only just started but his game so far have suggested to me has more than just what it takes, left foot, right foot, good in the air and quick enough... next season he will be stronger and wiser and will be one of the first names on the team sheet i'm sure. These are exciting times and I am annoyed that the media have not picked up on this, not credit has been given. Takes a look, Herd, Baker, Gardner, Bannan, Albrighton, Wiemann and Lichaj all in the squad (you can include Gabby too) from the academy, Clark another who would have been if fit.

That's 8 in an 18 man squad... #impressive

We have a lot to look forward too, and as i've said a few times there are still a few to make there way... next in line Williams and Carruthers and a mention of Nelson-Addy too. Then comes the likes of Drennan, Grealish and Graham.... wise investment in this squad will see us go far. If there is a Sheikh hovering around Villa Park and Bodymoor he will surely be factoring in the £200m of potential talent within the Villa Accademy. In my opinion the envy of the League. I saw the "Arsenal Insider" on twitter mention that Uzmanov has looked at the Aston Villa account after being frustrated again in his attempts to take over at Arsenal... he may take up the cheaper option of Villa and build them if he appeals to get on the board are rejected again this summer... that could also mean David Dein... a man who knows how to spot a player and get him at the right price... Joy.

anyway....

Great to Win, it would be nice to win a few convincingly, it'd be nice to start moving up the table and the see how these fans with prejudice cope without the cliched notion that McLeish is soley a negative manager... maybe he saw the problem with our defence like we all have, maybe if we're honest we've been over critical of McLeish and under critical of individual errors within the team... 

What ever happens to Big Eck wouldn't it be nice to grow our own team, and that team have a sense of belonging together and a determination to be successful together... rather than a group of club hoping mercenaries all aiming for a mega contract at Man City.... 

Views: 716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dont rate him

I think it will be Olic.

Meh... not fussed by either... Heskey replacement... 

Hernan Crespo – Striker
Fabrizio Micolli – CM
Alessandro Nesta – CB
Genarro Gatusso – DMC
Per Kroldrup – CB
Ricardo Montolivio – Winger
Walter Samuel – CB
Ivan Cordoba – CB
Cristian Chivu – LB
Sulley Muntari – CM
Allesandro Del Piero – AMC
Amauri – Striker
Fabio Grosso – LB/RB
Luca Toni – Striker
Mathieu Flamini – DMC
Gianluca Zambrotta – Winger
Marc Van Bommel – DMC
Mario Yepes – CB
Massimo Ambrosini – CB/CM
Cicinho – LB/RB
Daniel De Rossi – AMC
Gabriel Heinze – LB
Jose Bosingwa – RB
Florent Malouda – LM
Louis Saha – Striker
Sylvain Distin – CB
Hugo Rodallega – Striker
Junior Hoillett – MC
Mohammed Diame – MC/Striker
Micheal Kightly – Winger
Ivica Olic – Striker
Micheal Owen – Striker

take your pick all available

Montolivio and Muntari are two i'd love.

If we sign a quality players like Olic or Holliet wow for those saying Olic and injuries just remember quality is always there just look at Laursen he had problems with Knees and still had a lot of quality and not to forget GOD who was amazing.

I remember Olic and Petric when we played Hamburg in Europe they took us apart he might just need a new challenge in a new country with a load of quality young players to give him the lift to start scoring.

Just look  at Holliet on Saturday if we get him that would be a great transfer and Big Eck would deserve credit now lets just wait and see who he has signed.

ya but you have to put things in context though. 

Olic has caught the eye at hamburg and his early days at bayern. but has consistently lost form or got injured. What he has achieved, he may not be able to replicate as often or at all at 32 after  prolonged periods on the sideline. 

Add to that the fact he has never played in the premiership before, so an adjustment period could needed. 

He would also not be cheap  on wages, considering where he is coming from (bayern munich) 

For me even if he doesn't cost us transfer fees, there must be a younger player that either with resale or just with more time on his side would be a better investment. 

Saying that, its football and as predictable as the weather at times he could be the Morgan freeman of the footballing world and pull a complete terry wogan out of his pocket 

(i made up the last two analogies) 

RSS

© 2014   Created by SPORT WITNESS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service