You can say many things about Arsenal Football Club, but you can't say they're not a well-managed and well-run club. Yes, their trophy cabinet has taken a beating thanks to the majestic Emirates Stadium, but are they still competitive? You betcha. And can they still attract the best players around? Well, if Lukas Podolski's projected signature is anything to go by, then most certainly.

This could, quite literally, just be the start. Supposedly, Wenger has a goldmine sitting there in his transfer budget, but has refused to spend it. Is this the start of the big investment?

Podolski will cost a rumoured £10.9m, which is an absolute snip for the quality of player they're buying. Upwards of £100k a week has been offered to the player, which is hardly monumental money in comparison to previous signings in Europe over the previous three years or so.

This week alone, Arsenal have been linked with West Brom winger Peter Odemwingie, Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen, Blackburn mindfielder Junior Hoilett, Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud, Bayern winger Arjen Robben, Barca player Cristian Tello, Anderlecht striker Matias Suarez and Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels. That's some list of players.

So, football fans, who do you want to see playing in the red of Arsenal next season? And realistically, what do you see Wenger doing with the squad? Discuss!

You can come and say hello on Twitter - I'm @Adam9309. You can also let me know your thoughts via the comments box below!

Tags: Arsenal, Podolski

Views: 1968

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't be getting too carried away by this signing. Don't get me wrong, Podolski is a good player, with an absolutely fantastic international goalscoring record, but you never know how foreign players will adjust to the Premier League. This is also a player who was unable to cut it when a move to Bayern Munich materialised, so it is not clear if he can do it at the very highest level in Europe. While the transfer fee probably represents good value for money in today's market, the wages seem a bit excessive. I was astonished to hear that Arsenal, who are usually quite strict with their wages, are happy to pay a player, that is currently plying his trade for a German club positioned precariously above the relagation zone, more than 100k a week. You also have to consider that there is a strong possibility Podolski might end up being a replacement for RVP.

Adam, we disagree again my friend.

As Nicholas said, Podolski is good, not great. Seems like a big fish, small pond kinda guy. The list of players is good, but again not great. Are you telling me Odemwingie could ignite a title challenge? Or Giroud? No. And Tello/Robben is daydreaming.

And we've been hearing about Arsenal's war chest for years, every transfer window Wenger has 50/60 million to spend and yet he never does. Either they don't have it, or he won't spend it.

A few good results doesn't change a terrible season. They'll take fourth now and do it again next season unless Spurs disintegrate and they'll get third by default (unless Chelsea fix themselves), hardly progress.

RSS

START A DISCUSSION

© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service