Theo Walcott 'to join Canada and compete at Olympics' is more likely than today's story

Theo Walcott sometimes gets a bad press, many people think he hasn't improved enough over the past few seasons and that he isn't really fulfilling the talent which he showed at an early age. But Walcott is still only 23 years old and at the start of his career, it's not his fault he was thrust into the spotlight at such an early age and he's got the majority of his career ahead of him.

He's only a few months older than Manchester United's Tom Cleverley but has played more than 150 times for Arsenal and has around 30 international caps, that certainly isn't any failure by the time you're 23. He's been having contract talks with Arsenal and a sale has been discussed in the press but today's link seems to defy reality and his abilities as a footballer.

The Sunday Mirror link Theo Walcott with a move back to his first professional club Southampton. The team have been promoted to the Premier League and have a plan to get to the Champions League, they'd pay Walcott's fee, thought to be around £15m - if available - and wages of £100,000 a week.

Chairman Nicola Cortese is said to be ambitious, good for him, but this story sounds like it may have come from his bragging or that of someone associated with him. Theo Walcott won't sign for Southampton whatever Cortese thinks he can do with the club.

With all due respect to the club, Southampton won't be getting Champions League football within three years either, it may be better - assuming this story has come from them - that they concentrate on reality during this transfer window. 

Views: 2079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazing how some people will believe whatever they read. Did it never cross your mind that the Sunday Mirror just made this story up? These worthless rags make up this kind of transfer "rumour" all the time!

There certainly haven't been any public claims from Nicola Cortese about Champions League football in three years. The manger has mentioned that the long term goal is European football, but with no time-scale attached. I agree its very unlikely Saints will sign Walcott, especially as the chairman has repeatedly stated the aim of the club is to be self-sustaining, and £100,000 a week wages don't really line up with that approach.

The reason websites like this never build up any credibility is that they blindly swallow something just because it's been published in "the press". In future you'd do well to focus your doubt on the source of these kind of rumours rather than the clubs themselves.

Thanks for your advice but perhaps you need to concentrate a little more. We often question stories in the press, whether that be British or otherwise. 

Indeed, the story right underneath this one on the front page does that with The Sun. And this one clearly says:

'...it may be better - assuming this story has come from them - that they concentrate on reality during this transfer window.'

That 'assuming this story has come from them' suggests it's not being blindly swallowed. The club and newspaper are both doubted, indeed the sub-headline on the front page is 'Let's all make up a Theo Walcott story' so that's not even subtle.

We say it 'may' have come from the chairman and question the origins so if I'm being honest I think your criticisms on this issue are ill informed and unfair.

You also say:

The reason websites like this never build up any credibility is that they blindly swallow something just because it's been published in "the press". In future you'd do well to focus your doubt on the source of these kind of rumours rather than the clubs themselves.

You obviously have no idea what we do and have based your reaction on one article you don't like and haven't read properly, which is incredibly lazy when dismissing something or dishing out sarcastic advice.  

Thanks

I have no idea where this story came from - but a few pointers about Nicola Cortese.  A investment banker with a reputation for being thoroughly professional in his business dealings; he persuaded Marcus Liebherr to buy Saints.  His stated ambition when he took over Saints was to us back into the Premiership with 5 years - he did it in 3 seasons having started the first season with -10 points.  His stated next goal is he wants European Football (note - not Champions League) at St Marys - where the timeline came from - I have no idea either.

He is so highly regarded that AC Milan approached Saints two years ago to ask if he could become their CEO.  Cortese declined - out of loyalty to the late Marcus Liebherr. 

He keeps his transfer dealings strictly confidential and has walked away from deals when he has felt the transfer was not being managed is a professional, business-like manner.  He is not a person prone to bragging, he rarely gives interviews and keeps himself and his family out of the spotlight.

Based on his conduct to date, his dealings in the transfer market, I respectfully suggest that neither he, nor an aquaintance, would 'brag' about making a move for Theo.  However, its not hard to see how speculation could arise, but I doubt we would want him back in any case. 

RSS

START A DISCUSSION

© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service