It''s about to start, a season high in expectation and probably high in agony (it's already started for Jack). Looking forwards to this opener with Hull; you can get tired of endlessly speculating. Hull are in a mess. They have sold a large number of players; maybe they've found good replacements who can gel instantly, but the odds are against it. So we ought to get something out of it. How good we are, how effective the pre-season has been, we'll only know on the day; we've not exactly set things alight in pre-season, but there have been pluses and the new signings could make a big difference.

So, how will it pan out? I'd be inclined to play two up front, as in:-

Johnstone or Steer

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Elmo  Whelan Lansbury Green

Gabby Hogan

Maybe Gabby isn't scoring that much, but based in pre-season he's looked lively, fast and confident and could be a handful for defenses. That should make opportunities for Hogan.

However, I'm not Bruce, and he hasn't played Hogan and Gabby together at all in pre-season, in fact he doesn't seem keen on playing two strikers together. So, I suspect he'll play one striker plus a number 10, which in the absence of Grealish is probably Lansbury. Something like:-

Johnstone/Steer

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Elmo Whelan Bjarnason Green

Lansbury

Hogan

Whatever, if the team clicks I can see us winning 2-0, maybe even 3-0. The worst result would be us banging away to no effect and then conceding a feeble goal, as per last season, so 0-1 to them, but as of now I don't see it. It'll be tough, but we can win this.

Thoughts?

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am critical of Bruce because he is not right for what I want to see in my club, his style, his excuses, his signings, his selection and use of players.

But you're right Bosco he is our manager and should be given the chance to make us successful and get promoted.

I could go on forever about the signings we have made over the last 10 years, successful players reduced to also rans by our club. Nowhere else in life would such waste of money be allowed. I have issues with Bruce but also with the board who allowed the excesses last season.

One game doesn't tell you much but his poor use of subs tell you a lot, his faith in Flabby and Bacuna is misplaced, as I have asked before what did Hourihane do to be behind Bacuna?

We have to stick with him but for me at least it's hard as I have no faith in him but I'll try.

JDHS.

How long would you suggest - to make us successful ?

The excuses this clown Bruce comes up with do not bear any resemblance to what he preaches in relationship to the way these very good players we have are allowed to play - whatever tactics he employed 6 yrs ago to get mediocre teams promoted are now obsolete - he can only play 1 way ! that is now not good enough - forget the bullshit from your views from 1st match - 1 match tell me a lot & it appears not much better than last year - the defence is tighter good ? but still conceded ! - as I have said many times 'if you cant score then do not concede' - we cant do either ? 

Happy with the Colchester result. Bruce took a chance with 9 changes and having a number of youngsters a go, giving those youngsters real experience in a competitive match will pay dividends, and we won. The performance itself was a mixture, albeit in difficult conditions. Don't think that matters. What not to like!

happy with that although I would have given Hogan a full 90 minutes he needs to play and establish himself. Pleased though to see the youngsters get a run and especially pleased with the loanee whats-his-name.

RSS

START A DISCUSSION

© 2017   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service