A late kick off, the refs blooper and a bit of a shambles

Mossley Hill Athletic 1 - 0 Maghull

Wednesday 14th August 2013

The first game of the season, all pumped up, ready for three points, but...this was one of those games, probably best put in the forget quickly file.

The referee telling us that the kick off was 6.30 and not 6.15 was not much appreciated by those of us who had tested the speedometers of our vehicles to get there on time. Though it did allow some catch up time with my brother in law.

Defending up that horrendous slope in the first half, Maghull seemed to have the game under control. Not a great deal happened to be fair. The odd skirmish after a firm challenge,or two, seemed to be the sum parts of the first half. Granted, our young debutant keeper Mike Dixon produced a good save and the hosts struck the post from a free kick. But we are not here to dwell on the negatives. So quite a lacklustre first half came to a goalless end.

The second half continued at a similar standard. Mossley having some runaways from the tedium that eminated from the midfield strugle. And Maghull themselves having some moments that didn't actually concern the Mossley Hill keeper. The best of which came when Jay McGrane had a great chance to put us ahead but pushed the ball wide of the far post.

Dixon had been brought into action again in the second half, dealing with one long range effort very well, that took a very naughty bobble in front of him and would have left far more experienced keepers embarrassed.

Unfortunately for him, he dealt with a one on one when a Mossley Hill forward broke free, only to see the rebound put into his net with a bicycle kick attempt, that 99 times out of 100 would have gone anywhere but on target.

Maghull deserve some credit for pushing the hosts back, to try and score an equaliser. But all in vain.

The referee caused the main concern to the hosts keeper when he was booked for complaining about a change of heart by the ref and giving Maghull a corner kick as opposed to the goal kick he had initially given. The right decision was the corner, but in those dying seconds, it had the home team panicking.

The first corner resulted in another and the second saw King thump an unchallenged header over the bar. The chance had gone.

The final whistle brought complete silence. Even the home team didn't seem to be up for this. A fair result, but a draw would not have been unfair either.

But on the chances created and the level of play, we cannot grumble one bit.

Lets say it was a damp squib

Next match : South Liverpool away Saturday 17th August 2013 k/o 3pm

Views: 9

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service