A local Derby, a frustrating night and keeping the decorum

Wednesday September 5th 2012

Maghull 0-1 Marine Reserves

There is plenty to say, just, not a lot of it can be put into print.

Doom mongerers gathered after Saturdays defeat, presuming a 2 or 3 goal loss, may even be acceptable. My attempts at keeping positive and seeing only a home win, where falling on deaf ears. Maybe after this performance, they will see the potential in the side.

At the back,the defence performed admirably, though never really under much pressure. Finely guided by John Carragher. The midfield held their own, in an intense battle, where most of the game was played. Up front we caused problems and kept the opposition defence on their toes and concerned.

The first forty five was a battle of attrition, with neither side giving much away. A good watch, but not exactly jammed packed with goalmouth action.As you will gather, 0-0 was the scoreline and both sides where happy with that. The closest to a goal, being a smart save by Mark Mawdsley after a quite strange decision by the referee, to allow a quick free kick to be taken, while he was telling our wall to retreat. 

The second half followed a similar pattern. 

A tight affair, with neither side giving anything away. In my bias opinion, I would say we had slightly better of the play, Marine may argue, but it was a close match. Again, not much in the way of clear cut chances, but both keepers where kept busy with crosses and efforts from distance. 

From the 70 minute mark, we seemed to be getting on top. A head of steam built up and Marine became reliant on counter attacks, which ultimately ended with an offside flag. 

A move just inside the visitors half broke down and what followed could be described as thus. Maghull : a bit of sloppy play, led to Marine breaking away, the ball falling to the feet of Pearson 20 yards out, who scored. Could and should have been avoided. Marine : an intervention in our half led to a quick passing move that found Pearson 30 yards out who slammed one into the top corner.Great move and goal. I will allow you to make your own interpretation. The opposition celebrated like it was a last minute cup final winner, I just know 13 minutes where left and we needed a goal quick.

We had earlier struck the post through a Danny O'Leary header, unfortunately, for all our pressing and tight calls and the disappearing light, we just could not find that elusive equaliser. 

Once again we had been mugged or caught unawares, who knows. But it was very disappointing, when even the visitors said we deserved at least a draw from the game. A bitter pill to swallow. Compounded after the game by the sending off of Jamie Robinson.

These offences cost the club a lot of money, which we work very hard to attain and it is not helped when the standards set by the West Cheshire league, for their officials, are clearly not met. Therefore costing the club, in fines. A modicum of common sense, especially after a close run local derby, needs to be taken into account by the officials, who in truth, did not have the best of nights.   

Next game: Newton away September 8th 2012 (another jaunt to the wirral) k.o 3pm  I fancy a win !

Views: 28

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness

Comment by Mary Beck on September 7, 2012 at 16:31

hard loss - keep up the cheer leading - every team needs a few. 


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service