BMT, a turning point and it's still too early lads.

Maghull 4-0 South Liverpool

Saturday 30th November 2013 kick off 2pm

Was this really a title decider ! While we are still in November ?
After this performance, from back to front, I think it's time to smile like you mean it. Points on the board, is the main thing in football and Phil Staffords team have done just that. And done the double over their nearest challenger for good measure.

It was built up as a big game and didn't disappoint. And who needs blondes when this kind of football is on offer.

South Liverpool needing the win, came out strongly, but the game became a fiercely contested midfield battle, with no quarter given. Maghull calmed things down and began to play their football and it was soon obvious that the visitors, though dangerous on the attack, where vulnerable at the back.

Rob Dutton was having a bit of a day already, when he beat a couple of South defenders and played a ball inside the full back for Lee Tynan. Tynan took it in his stride and played the ball across the box for Colin McDonald, who made a difficult task look easy as he beat the keeper to open the scoring.

The response was nothing to write home about and Maghull kept calm and continued to keep the South defence on their toes. The post was struck twice before the break, but some fancy stuff down the right side saw John Hastings playing in Jay McGrane and his cross was met by Lee Tynan who ghosted in from the left flank and fired Maghull into a well deserved two goal lead. But 2-0 is not a comfortable scoreline anymore.

I have no idea what happened in the visitors dressing room at half time, but they did respond this time. The first twenty minutes of the second half, was played entirely in Maghulls half and the hosts back four and keeper came to the fore and stood up to be counted. In fact it was all hands to the pumps at one stage as a resurgent South piled on the pressure. It would not have been unfair had South Liverpool got a goal back. They claimed a goal when an effort was cleared off the line, I think they had a fair shout to be honest, as it did look like it had gone over the line. But from the resulting melee, a shot was struck, a person was hit and cries of handball where rewarded when the referee pointed to the spot.

Lee Carrol won the mind games and dived to his left to keep out the penalty and a huge sigh of relief went around from the huge crowd, estimated around the 300 mark.

If ever a game swung on a moment, this was it. The visitors seemed to sense this was not their day and within five minutes the game was wrapped up. Colin McDonald chased a through ball, out muscled his marker and then cheekily took it onto his weaker left foot, before dispatching his shot wide of the keeper and the points where in the bag.

(Sorry lads, I completely forgot..need shooting)
Around this point came the moment of the day. Mr King, up front for a corner, gave us his Peter Kay impression. Have It !! was the quip, when his attempted half volley soared to the heavens and cleared the trees and the canal behind the goal.

Mick McGinn, on as a substitute, gave the scoreline extra gloss with an added touch of style as he smashed an effort from out wide on the left, into the far top corner and the celebrations began in earnest.

You can't ask for more, than beating your closest rivals. To thump them 4-0 while enduring a real test of your character, when under the cosh, speaks volumes. Every man performed brilliantly, including our debutant Kevin McCormick (or mack ?) who came on as a sub in the second half.

The title isn't over yet lads. But it is yours to lose. Go forth and finish the job. And 51 goals in 17 games is not too shabby is it !

Next game :- Chester Nomads home Saturday 7th December 2013 kick off 2pm

Views: 15

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service