First competitive game, a cloud burst and a tough victory

Maghull 4-1 Newton

Bill Weight semi final

Tuesday 5th August 2014 kick off 6.30pm

Sorry it's late peeps.

Blame that slavedriver, I have as a boss. Been bloody shattered all week.

So, we had a game with meaning, at last.
Newton, a side I kind of have a soft spot for, no idea why, came along and made a good fight of this one.

Phil Staffords lads had played some quality sides, all at a much higher level, during the pre season. Of course, fitness was the priority, but a big learning curve needed too. Being Champions, does not mean you have seen it and done it, it means progressing. And those tests, against higher level sides, was a good move on the management front. Giving the players some sense of what they could expect, had they been a promoted side.

The early possession was mainly with the visitors, albeit in the middle of the park. But Maghull did look the more threatening. Newton brought about the first talking point of the season, when a Phil Jones type tackle saw them awarded a penalty. Once again, Lee Carroll did the business, diving to his right and pushing the shot away. It was the spur that Maghull needed.

With the heavens opening and the crowd scuttling for cover, Maghull took the lead, when a shot was struck into the box. Other than Colin McDonald scoring from this passage of play (after a keepers save or a deflection) I am unaware of how it came about. I must stop chatting when watching the match.

Taking the one goal advantage into the break, Maghull knew they still had a battle on their hands. But they soon killed the tie off, with a quick fire second half blast.

Firstly Danny Dillon tapped home from close range after a good move down the right and then Colin McDonald doubled his tally when stretching to reach a Ben Sumner free kick and toe poking past the keeper. The game was all but done.

Newton pulled one back with a far post header and then, to their credit, began to push Maghull back in search of a comeback. A couple of efforts and some impetus from the visitors gave cause for concern. But as good sides do, Maghull got back into their stride and Mikey Cummins rounded off a good win with goal number four, to take them to the Bill Weight Final.

A good run-out, a hard game and just what the lads needed, going into the defence of their league title.

Next game : Southport Trinity home Wednesday 13th August 2014 kick off 6.30pm 1st League game of the season

Come along and support your local League Champions, as they start their campaign to win the title again.

Views: 122

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service