Halloween comes early, losing some basics and the cost of injuries.

Saturday 27th October 2012

Maghull 1-3 Southport Trinity

I would love to put some gloss on Saturdays proceedings, but in all honesty, it was a horror show.

Take away a 10 minute spell in the second half, in which Maghull equalised and then looked progressive, it was a day best forgotten and cast into the mire of bad performances.

The away side started the better, controlling the game and creating a couple of chances. The longer the half went on, the closer to scoring the visitors came. Two scrambles in the Maghull box saw them somehow escape and the keeper made amends for a shocking clearance, by clawing away the goal attempt, just before it crossed the line. The visitors appeals for a goal waved away.  

It was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken and it happened in grand style. A header back to the keeper was woefully short, anticipated by the visitors forward and easily placed past the Maghull keeper.

One plus side of the first half was that the scoreline was only 0-1 at the break.

The second period started off in dull fashion. Neither side seemed able to string three passes together.

Maghull finally started getting into the game and a great cross into the centre by Sean Chart was met by Ian Smith, whose header brought the scores level.

It now actually looked like Maghull could go on and win the game, but these ideas where brought down to earth when they went down to 10 men. After all substitutions had been made, an injury to one of the subs caused a reshuffle and the loss of impetus.  

From that point on, Southport took the initiative back. Though it took some awful errors to bring about the final scoreline.

A free kick, from far out, was misjudged in the sun by the covering defender on Maghulls left hand side, allowing the visitors forward to take the ball on and smash it into the far corner.

Goal number three came from the penalty spot, A challenge that could have been given to either side, or just let go, was given as a spot kick. Mark Mawdsley made a save down to his left hand side, but must have felt frustrated that no Maghull defenders followed in and left the visitors forward to hit home the rebound. 

The nightmare day was complete, when Marko Parvas was carried off in time added on, after colliding with an upright and being left unconcious. 

Lost points at home, for the second week running, is not good form.

Next game : Ashville away Saturday November 3rd 2012 kick off 3pm

Views: 27

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service