Looking comfortable, becoming sloppy, and a very painful end

Newton 0-3 Maghull

Saturday 14th September 2013 kick off 3pm

I am here to report on a football match, so I will do that.

Two great strikes from the edge of the box, from Rob Dutton, gave us a cracking start. And a tremendous platform to go on and boost the goal difference.

A run from deep, cutting in from the left and taking advantage of a moses moment in the Newton defence, Dutton struck home to open the scoring. Soon after and a move between Tom Foley and Steve Williams, saw the latter lay the ball back for Dutton to repeat the feat, into the opposite corner and all was looking rosey.

Maghull had half chances to increase the lead, but then the hosts made early changes and the balance of the game swung their way.

Again, Maghull seemed content with the advantage they had gained and allowed Newton to get a foothold in the match. From twenty minutes in, Newton gained the upper hand and sloppy final balls and poor efforts from distance kept the scoreline the same. In fact, Lee Carrols first save of the match came close to the break, which was an easy save down to his left. But Newton did give us a scare right on half time when a midfielder was allowed to run, really unchallenged, through Maghulls defence, but put his shot wide of the post.

Luckily Maghull started the second half in the same way as they did the first, fully in control. Dillon brought about a fine save by the keeper, but not much else was threatening the hosts goal, despite having all of the possession and the ball needing a compass to find Maghulls half. 

Then the Newton keeper had a calamity moment. From the edge of his box, his clearance only struck one of his own players, rebounded nicely to Steve Van Williams (5 in 3 games now) who calmly controlled the ball and struck it into the open net. 

More Maghull possession, more half chances, but it looked like both sides had settled for the result as it stood. Then came an ending none of us wanted to see.

Tom Foley received the ball in the Maghull box, went wide of the keeper who came out to challenge. Foley went down, the keeper came up with the ball in his hands.The referee pointed to the spot and a good ending to the game. From the ensuing hullabaloo and complaints over the penalty award, the keeper received his marching orders with a straight red card, which he took with great disdain and quite frankly losing touch of his senses. It was a no brainer, he led with his feet and caught Foley before grasping the loose ball. He gave the referee no other option.

But Tom Foley had not moved, since the collision. He was laying just off the pitch, but too close for any play to continue. A lack of stretcher and the news that the ambulance that had been called for, was going to take at least 30 minutes, gave the referee no option but to call the game off with four minutes remaining. Maghull had stated that they were willing to play out the remaining minutes, but such a long delay for both sets of players and the delay in the expected time for the ambulance, gave the officials no real choice, but to take the decision they did. 

The sad news that Tom will be out for the season and will require at least one operation on his injured knee has taken the gloss off a well deserved three points, that secured Maghulls position at the top of the table.

I am sure you will all join me in wishing Tom a very speedy and full recovery. A bitter blow for the player and the club. 

Next game : Waterloo GSOB away Saturday 21st September 2013 Kick off 2pm Liverpool Challenge Cup 1st round 


Views: 27

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service