Missing chances, our Chopper Harris and a fine revival

Vauxhall Motors Reserves 1-3 Maghull

Tuesday 10th September 2013 kick off 7.30pm


This is becoming a good habit. Five away day trips and four wins.
The boss has certainly found that winning formula. Though he did puzzle us in the second half.

Against a side who played the first half with a very high line, Maghulls normal fluent passing game was left to the back four, while the midfield were left to make hay, spraying passes over and through the Vauxhall back line.

Vauxhall had the odd moment,but gave as little concern to our back four as I would racing Mo Farrah. Especially after Chopper King put in a tackle that took the ball and nearly broke the poor attacker in half. Fair but firm, I think the old saying used to be.

Chance after chance went begging, Steve Williams having the best chance to break the deadlock when flicking the ball wide of the upright with the goal at his mercy. But he was far from the only culprit of keeping Vauxhall in the game. As half time approached, the hosts could not have complained at being four or five goals down. Then, you guessed it.

A decent effort from the Vauxhall right winger went through a busy penalty box and somehow deceived Lee Carrol and it was 1-0. Half time brought frustrated musings of whether this was going to be one of those nights.

The second half had barely begun, when Lee Mullen struck a free kick, from wide on the right, passed a stumbling keeper and into the far corner of the net. Surprise and joy came at the same time. We had no clue how the keeper had missed it, but we were not complaining and saw a nick in the hosts armour.

Redemption came soon after, when Mick McGinn, opened his legs, as David Coleman would say, broke down the left and cracked a great shot that the keeper tipped over the bar. A very fine save.

Then a let off.

With claims for offside, which looked ok from my viewpoint, Vauxhall broke, the ball was squared and with a gaping goal in front of him, the oncoming player skewed his shot wide. The lesson was quickly learnt.

McGinn, finding acres of space wherever he went, struck an effort from the edge of the box, the keeper fumbled and Steve Williams, now chasing Van Dillon and Van McGrane, struck home the rebound for his third in two games. Van Williams should have made it 3-1 when he took on the left side of Vauxhalls defence only for a weak shot to allow the keeper to save. Not long after, he made amends by sliding the ball home after rounding the keeper to put some daylight between the sides.

Phil Stafford then baffled us, when immediately replacing McGinn, when he was having a fun time down the left and causing dismay amongst the home ranks. We expected to push on and go for more goals.

The game frittered away, with that horrible feeling that one mistake could bring Vauxhalls back into it. This time, the result stayed the way it was. But not before some daft moments when our defence dropped off again and invited some uneedy pressure.

All in all, a great three points on the road and a place at the head of the table. Yes it's early on, but let us enjoy the moment and hopefully reinforce that position on Saturday.

Well done lads !!!
But can we please stop dropping back in the latter stages and stop giving away those silly free kicks in nothing areas. Also, for a team that has scored 20 times in 8 games, you could so easily have had another 10 goals by now.
I have to keep you on your toes Phil.

Next game : Newtown away Saturday 14th September 2013 kick off 3pm

Views: 16

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service