Nearly a worldy, bare bones and back to the future ?

Capenhurst Villa 0 - 1 Maghull

Saturday 4th April 2015 kick off 3pm

What a very nice surprise Saturday was. After some lacklustre performances of late, this was as good a performance as we have seen from Maghull for some time. Just a shame that the scoreline did not reflect it.

The game is all about opinions and no doubt the odd one will disagree with me, but I think I have shown to be honest and fair (a bit brutal at times too) and on this occasion Capenhurst could not have complained if they had copped for a hiding on the scoresheet.

The pattern was set from the off. Two attempts on goal within the time it takes Steven Gerrard to get sent off. The Capenhurst defence panicked and daft free kick was given away. Punishment was duly delivered, in a cruel manner, as Mick McGinns free kick took a deflection that carried the ball further into the corner and away from the stranded keeper. Three minutes in and as silly as it sounds, it was a deserved lead. It took Capenhurst ten minutes to get the ball into Maghulls half, even the kick off was pressed and won back. With a hotchpotch of a team, covering mass injuries and illness, this was a side that meant business.

They snapped into tackles, pressed high up the pitch, hassled and harried and with nothing at all to play for, it was nice to see the lads put in such a good shift. They created chances to increase their lead, but only poor finishing (once again) let them down. McGinn broke the offside trap and instead of slotting home, he went for the glory chip and it sailed just over the bar. Riley did all the hard work down the left, but saw his effort come back off the upright. With half chances and limiting the hosts to long range efforts, this really could have been three or four nil at the break. Instead, Maghull had just the one goal to show for their endeavours.

Capenhurst did play better in the second period, but only that wayward finishing and real bad luck kept them in the game. Riley had one cleared off the line, when he couldn't get enough power in shot, Sumner had only to pass one into an empty net after the Capenhurst defence was sliced open, but somehow managed to scoop his shot over the bar. Dillon went on a mazy run late on and having beat all but the keeper, should have squared for a tap in, but delayed and saw his effort blocked by a last minute lunge. But the cruel blow came when McGinn hit a left foot volley that Jermaine Defoe would have been proud of. But it smashed the bar and flew out before the keeper even moved. But I did say Capenhurst played better.

The longer the game went, with no second goal, the more they felt they could get something out of it. They did put Maghull under some pressure in the last ten minutes, but the defence held firm and it was good to see a clean sheet again. The win was deserved and this was like a visit back to last season. Taking the game to the opposition, confidently knocking the ball around and no silly mistakes at the back. Just the lack of goals took a bit of gloss off the game. But with so many changes, I am sure we can afford to let Uncle Johnny McInnes take the plaudits and have a happy two weeks before the next game.

Next game : Hale away league 18th April 2015 kick off 3pm

Views: 84

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service