Seeing red, a home win and our own Terry Mac and Stevie C !?

Saturday September 15th 2012

Maghull 1-0 Mossley Hill Athletic

We've done it. 

Joycey's lads got our first home win of the season, but once again, we didn't make it easy for ourselves. 

What had started as a scrappy game, no side seeming able to keep the ball for a decent period, turned sour for us, when an extended lunge into a tackle by Jamie Blackhurst, resulted in a straight red card. No arguments can be given.

But with the game not even a quarter of the way through, an uphill battle seemed to be on the cards.

To be honest, the first half seemed to fritter away. Not a lot happened and not a lot looked like it would. Shots from a distance seemed to be order of the day, with neither keeper being worked extensively. Even when Paul McDonald was given a half chance, his effort went the wrong side of the post. 

0-0 at half time and chance to re-group was what was needed.

A change to three at the back gave us more options in midfield, but this quickly became stretched by the opposition, as they kept two men very wide, nullifying the scope of the extra man in the middle. And a return to a back four quickly brought dividends.

A bold move of staying with two up front, since the sending off, meant the three in the middle had to work tirelessly to keep us in the game. Alex McNab, Michael O'Brien and Terry McDonald did just that. The two lads at the back, in the centre, kept the opposition forwards at bay. Both Steve Carroll and Mark Brown having great games at the back.

Midway through the second half came the breakthrough.

Having threatened to take the lead on a couple of occasions, the pressure finally told, when Terry McDonald, skipper for the day, took responsibility.  Receiving a pass from out wide, he jinked inside a challenge and played a great ball into the box, the left the incoming Neil Buck, on as a sub for Paul McDonald, with nothing more to do than get a touch to it and we where in front. 

Fresh legs where needed to keep out an expected onslaught from the visitors. Danny O'Leary and John McGuire came on, in place of Micheal O'Brien and Jamie Robinson. 

The defence held firm, some stout defending and yes, some last ditch tackles keeping Mossley out. When they did break through, Mark Mawdsley, improving game by game, made a very good save, to keep us ahead. 

A well deserved victory, even more so considering playing most of the game with ten men. And the scoreline should have had a nicer gloss only for a poor miss, right at the death.

The home fans finally see the lads perform at Old Hall Field and though all put in a top notch shift, special mention has to go to Terry McDonald and Stevie Carroll who both stood out on their returns to the side.

Next game : South Liverpool away September 22nd 2012 kick off 2.30pm  Liverpool Challenge Cup Round 1

Views: 21

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service