The mystery of the changies, a stonking crowd and a return to the bad old ways

Saturday 13th October 2012

Maghull 4-2 Hale

The beginning of the season paid a nasty, return visit to Old Hall Field, with our lads starting in a trance and a very silly goal being conceded. 

After last weeks appeal for a good crowd, they turned up in their droves (we need more international weekends if this is the case) and where treated to a very good game. Unfortunately, that early lapse was not a start for the home fans. 

The ball given away sloppily in midfield, left the visitors on the front foot. An interception was made, but a sloppy back pass gave them more food for thought. When this was dealt with rather sloppily and the Hale centre forward, Cashmore, was allowed to pounce on the loose ball, the inevitable happened and a goal down after 6 minutes was not the best of starts. Let us say it was sloppy !

In fact for the first 45 minutes, the home side seemed to be lacking a yard here and there.

We created a few chances during the first half, John Maguire having the best of them, when clean through, but hitting the keepers legs and then heading the rebound over the bar. Ian Smith also had the chance to bring us level, but went for placement instead of power and saw his effort sail over the bar. These being the highlights of a first half, which, in all honesty, was ran by the Hale centre midfield pairing of the numbers 7 and 8 (sorry no names known) This little and large pairing in the middle of the field, seemed to be available for possession at all times and caused the hosts plenty of problems. Though they only tested Mark Mawdsley from distance. 

A much needed half time break was upon us, when suddenly Hale went into a two goal lead. 

Poor marking at the back allowing the Hale boy, Cashmore, to cash in again and really put a dampner on a poor first half. 

Half time 0-2

A change was made in the interval, bringing on Sean Chart, in place of the out of sorts Terry McDonald. 

Not much seemed to be any different in the first ten minutes, even from my vantage point, with the prawn sandwich brigade. 

Suddenly Marko Parvas was sent clear by a pass from Phil Stafford, his run through to goal was abruptly halted 25 yards out, by a clear professional foul. A fair decision on just a yellow card as their was another defender covering back. And a firm arm raised in the air.

Charty, encouraged to curl one into the top corner, duly obliged, only into the bottom corner. 1-2 and could this be another fightback on the cards.

The lads upped the pace of the game, and belief came back. After last weeks crazy set back and suffering a poor first half, it was good to see the character shining through. 

Paul Carragher came on for Sandison, and a tactical switch down the left hand side gave us even more impetus going forward. 

The Hale midfield was now being overun and John Maguire had a great chance to bring parity to the scoreline, when sent clear by a flick on from Marko, but somehow managed to place his shot both wide of the keeper and the upright. A huge let off for the visitors.

The crowd, easily the biggest of the season and reaching into three figures, now smelt blood and shouted Maghull on for an equaliser, that 20 minutes earlier had looked a forlorn hope.

The equaliser soon came, when a good move down the left between McNab and Carragher ended with Paul Carragher twisting the full backs blood and putting a great cross into the Hale penalty box, where Marko Parvas met it full on and planted his header home.

The half time discussions and the following substitutions had turned the game on it's head and now Maghull, not only sensed, but knew, a victory was on the cards.

Sean Chart was having an inspired time down the right and giving his marker a torrid afternoon. Time and again he was either beating his man or deceiving him with a quick and accurate cross into the box. 

When Paul Carragher was brought down on the left, just outside the box, Charty stepped up with a pinpoint free kick, yet again onto the head of Marko and the recovery was complete.

Urged to keep it tight at the back and not do anything silly and throw away the points, the lads did just that, but they not only kept the opposition at arms length, they also went and plundered a fourth. John Maguire finally finding the net, after a great ball from Phil Stafford had split the defence.

The turnaround had been quite remarkable, given the circumstances of the previous 90 minutes, of actual play. And Maghull could quite easily have added to the scoreline with a little more composure in front of goal.  

A deserved win, after a much improved second half performance. And the ingenuity of the management with the subtle changes that brought about the impressive change. And the form of Marko Parvas cannot be ignored. 

And after last weeks moaning, let it be said that the officials contributed to a good game, credit where it is due.

Next game Southport Trinity home 20th October 2012 kick off 3pm   subject to confirmation

Views: 54

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service