The river of rain, playing the new boys and a real performance

South Liverpool 1 - 3 Maghull

Saturday 17th August 2013 k/o 3pm

Yep, I was late again... it was all Stoke's fault.

The pitch looked somewhat...bumpy, to say the least. I have seen less caverns in the Blue John caves, or am I just picky ?

Anyway, the first half (ok I only missed five minutes before any of you moan) seemed pretty much a replica of Wednesday nights fare. Only this time the upper hand and chances created, came from Maghull. I had already been informed of a good chance that had gone begging and this seemed to be the pattern of a first half of football, mainly contained in the central portion of the park.

Some quirky decisions where made, but unlike Wednesday, it did not seem to ruin the game. But no goals, yet again, began to worry me. As did the rain, that was quite horrendous and being so close to the Mersey didn't help things,the river is wild, with the wind blowing it inland with some force.

The second half saw the game come to life.

Maghull took control and the home sides tactics of playing for offside decisions were beginning to look quite frail. They played a very high line, and the pace of the Maghull forward line had them scampering for cover at times.

But a great passage of play, switching the ball from left to right, and a lovely passing move inside Souths box, saw Steve Williams slide a ball across the undressed six yard box for Jey McGrane to slide home an easy goal.

The hosts responded well, making a few changes in personnel and began to get back into the game.

Then they were hit with a classic sucker punch, with less than ten to go. A long throw down the line saw Steve Williams, once again, mug his marker and squared the ball to Danny Dillon who had made a great run forward. His initial shot was saved, but Dillon finished off the rebound with aplomb and it was game over. Or was it !

South came forward with gusto and with nothing to lose, ramped up the pressure which told within 90 seconds of the restart. They had camped in our box with Rick O'Shea keeping them at bay. Finally an attempt was saved by Lee Carrol but the rebound somehow found the top corner of the net, in a looping fashion. A weird goal to concede and to watch to be honest. It reminded me of that cranky goal Palace got against Liverpool in the semi in 1990.

2-1 really did not reflect a true scoreline on the day and this was put partly right in time added on.

Williams broke through the offside trap, a matter of yards inside Souths half and drawing the keeper out, very unselfishly squared the ball to Redmond, who had only just come on, to tap into the empty net and bring some sense to the final result.

The heavens opened again and it was not the time for niceties as a rush to cars took place.

A far better performance by all and very good to see the leadership take control of matters. Lets make the opening day look a fluke and a bad day at the office, with a grand performance in our first home game of the season on Wednesday.

Next game : Southport Trinity home Wednesday 21st August 2013 k/o 6.15pm

Views: 16

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2019   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service