Where did the lightening come from,those pesky penalties and one less trophy to polish.

Maghull 0-0 South Sefton Borough  aet  South Sefton win 5-4 on penalties

Saturday 12th October kick off 2pm

It has only gone and happened again !

Twice, within four days. Who says that lightening doesn't strike twice ?

Not a lot to write, to be perfectly honest. Other than more total dominance, more chances wasted and more annoyance coupled with a heavy heart at losing a game that had many to nil written all over it.

South Sefton came with an obvious game plan and towards the end of normal time, very nearly changed it themselves. Other than that glitch, they played their monopoly card very well.

The first half was just a parade in the visitors half. The returning keeper played a blinder, but was also helped by some poor finishing. A very high line was played by South and this offside trap was beaten a few times, though one occasion it did catch us out within yards off their half.

This game should really have been dead and buried by the break, but once again, the four or five opportunities created were not taken and the half time break brought about a stalemate.

Everything will be all right, was the general consensus, as the lads came out for the second period. But the fare on offer became quite dull. Maghull, once again, had all of the play, produced a couple more chances, but again, none were taken. South had latched onto the frailties of a high line and sat deeper and deeper as the half progressed. The game becoming somewhat congested and the intent was plain for all to see.

Phil Stafford, having rested a few lads, made changes, but the pattern of the play stayed very much the same. A long clearance saw Lee Carrol caught in two minds, the striker sought headlines in snatching a late winner, but summed up the attacking force of South Sefton, by placing his effort wide of the post, with only Lee to beat, inside the last ten minutes.

We still had a chance to snatch victory at the death, but when attempting to take the ball around the keeper, John Hastings saw the keepers legs retrieve the danger and extra time was upon us.

Wednesday nights game seemed to take it's toll in the added 30 minutes. Though again, all the play was in the visitors half, only an offside goal, by Mick McGinn, was worth any mention. The visitors had got the penalty shoot out they came for.

Hastings, Dillon and McGinn all netted for Maghull, unfortunately Williams saw his effort saved. King had a chance to win it, but missed the target. Sudden death saw McGrane score, but Parvas struck the post and it was game over. Lee Carrol having made two great saves in the first five.

The Liverpool Challenge Cup will have to wait another year to make it to the trophy cabinet.

Someone is going to get a hell of a beating, very soon, if the last two matches are anything to go by. It is just a minor blip Phil.

Next game : Chester Nomads (league) away Saturday 19th October kick off 3pm

Views: 35

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Sport Witness to add comments!

Join Sport Witness


© 2018   Created by SPORT WITNESS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service